Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Super Fudge

John's last post mentioned that he had bought a lot of sesame seeds at a co-op. His post stirred up a memory. I knew I had a recipe that called for a lot of sesame seeds. What was it? Where was it?

It is called Super Fudge and the recipe was right where I put it - in the stack of miscellaneous recipes that sit in the corner of my cookbook cupboard.

This is a recipe my mother used to make for us when I was young. She probably found it in a Prevention Magazine or Mother Earth News or one such publication she was reading at the time. We all loved it. I have a copy of the recipe on an 8.5 x 11 piece of regular white paper, typed by Mom, smudged by me.

The recipe calls for honey. I know, I know. Honey is not in a vegan diet. You can substitute agave nectar. Agave nectar is a little thinner than honey, you may need to add a little extra carob powder or nuts to get the texture right. I was gifted two bottles of Wisconsin honey and I couldn't resist using it today. Thank you bees. I honor your efforts. I marvel at your expertise.

Carob Super Fudge


Grease an eight inch square pan liberally.
Assemble these ingredients:
1 cup honey (or agave nectar)
1 cup peanut butter
1 cup carob powder
1 cup sesame seeds
1 cup sunflower seeds or a mix of chopped seeds
1/2 cup dried fruit (raisin, currants, dates)
1/2 cup shredded coconut

heat honey and peanut butter - I used the micro wave
quickly add the carob powder and mix well
add the rest of the ingredients and dump into an eight inch square pan -
spread evenly into the pan with your fingers
refrigerate for about an hour to firm the mixture
cut into small squares

This fudge is very rich. I have seen a fudge that looks very similar sold in small cubes, about 1x1x1 inch. If you have more will power than I have, this recipe will last a long time.


1 comment:

  1. My mother used to make this for us as kids a long time ago--we always got carob cakes instead of chocolate, superfudge instead of chocolate fudge. She passed away a few years ago and I could never find her superfudge recipe... this is it, I've got a batch cooling in the fridge right now. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete