Friday, August 10, 2012

Kale Chips So Good You Won't Want To Share

I've been reading alot about roasting kale leaves and turning those healthy greens into something akin to a potato chip. A couple weeks ago I decided to see what all the hoopla was about and brought home a BIG bunch of curly kale from the market.

Remove the tough stems
I removed the tough stems and cut the leaves into large pieces. Then I put the leaves into my colander and gave them a good wash. I'd read that the leaves had to be absolutely dry or they would steam in the oven and that isn't what I wanted. My purpose was to create a crispy leaf that would fall apart in my mouth.

Cut the leaves into sections
I dried them well on a couple of kitchen towels, then let them sit for about 30 minutes. I used two sheet pans to roast the leaves on as they have to lay single deep or they'll not turn crispy. I set the oven for 350 degrees and when it was good and hot, I put the kale leaves into a bowl and drizzled 2 Tbs. of olive oil atop them, added a healthy sprinkle of sea salt, and gave the leaves a good toss so they all got coated. If you're not a salt lover, you could leave it off. I'm a salt lover.

Leaves ready for roasting
I roasted them for 10-15 minutes, or until I could see these faded green leaves nearly standing straight up on the sheet pans. They were so crispy they nearly fell apart when I plated them, but I didn't care and neither did the company I had invited to dinner that night.

They made a perfect accompaniment to the mushroom burgers I served as the entree. From what I thought and from what my company said, I could have served a boatload of kale chips and forgotten the mushroom burger because the chips were just that good.

Ready for eating. Ugly but delicious



1 comment:

  1. this post is very interesting and easy to read .... I hope to visit again

    ReplyDelete