Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Keep It Simple

Words / as slippery as smooth grapes, / words exploding in the light / like dormant seeds waiting / in the vaults of vocabulary, / alive again, and giving life: / once again the heart distills them. -Pablo Neruda, poet and diplomat (1904-1973)

Isn't it interesting how often food is used to describe something? Just saying.


Maybe it is the holiday spirit that made me reach for them. Feeling adventurous, throwing care to the winds, shoulders back, chin up, resolve set, I grabbed 3 of the biggest ones. There they sat in the produce section, looking superior. The Portobello Mushroom, flat, silver, bigger than it's brothers sitting there beside him. If he could dance, I'm thinking it would be a seductive ballet.

The Portobello Mushroom has always intimidated me until today. Today I took them home and marinated them in Italian dressing and broiled them 3 inches from the heat for 5 minutes on each side. Simple. I served them with boiled potatoes and steamed red Swiss chard.

Some of the best meals are simple. And the day before Thanksgiving, the beginning of the holiday season, it was nice to fix something a bit festive and easy. Let the games begin.

I am thankful that Thursday is not my vegan day.

No comments:

Post a Comment