Saturday, April 17, 2010

Sweet & Sour Tofu




I have never been very successful in creating recipes with tofu.
The texture was never quite right for dish. However, I found
a tofu made by Nasoya that is called super-firm tofu and it is
cubed. This certainly took the work and worry of preparing tofu
for a dish.

I was so amazed at how well this tofu adapted itself to this recipe,
that I invited two of my friends, Sherrie and Scott, to critique me on
this. They really loved the dish.
Sooooo,here is the recipe.

1 8oz. pkg. super-firm tofu, drained on paper towels for an hour or so.
After the tofu is drained, dredge it in some cornstarch seasoned with a
little (or a lot ) of cayenne pepper.

2 - 3 Tbsp. oil for stir frying
2 Tbsp.finely minced garlic
2 Tbsp.finely minced ginger
1 dry red chili,seeded
1/2 c. broccoli florets, cut small
1/2 c. carrots, finely julienned
1/2 c. red pepper, finely julienned
Scallions, as many as you like,I used
wild chives that I foraged.
1/2 c. pineapple chunks
1 tsp. dark sesame oil

Sauce:

1 Tbsp. rice vinegar
1 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 Tbsp. tomato paste
1/2 c. pineapple juice
1 Tbsp. cornstarch dissolved in 1/4 c. cold water

Stir fry the prepared tofu until lightly brown and crisp.
Remove tofu and reserve.
Stir fry ginger, garlic and chile pepper for 1 -2 minutes.
Add rest of vegetables (not the pineapple) and stir fry
until tender crisp.
Add tofu and pineapple. Then stir sauce and add it and
cornstarch slurry.
Cook for a minute or two.
Finish with sesame oil,


I served this over brown basmati rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment