Friday, August 17, 2012

Taco Salad--Vegan Style

My air conditioning broke--right in the middle of a horrid heat wave that rolled across the Southwest and decided to stay, albeit very much unwelcome. I don't know what the humidity is, but let's just say that the air is so moisture-laden I find it hard to breathe. I'm supposing a lot of AC's have gone out by now, having run 24/7 for almost two weeks because when I called my service contractor, I was informed that he was super busy and would get to me as quick as he could. I'm still waiting.

Now all of that to say that I could no longer even think about standing at the stove, let alone turning on the oven. Even if I had put something in the crock pot first thing this morning, there was no way I wanted to eat anything hot and steamy. That's why I racked my brain to come up with a cold supper. Thus it was that I thought of taco salad. It has always been a family favorite. But could I turn it into vegan and still have the taste I wanted?

You know me. I just had to give it a try. Doggone good if I do say so myself. I had company coming to dinner, so I made enough for four and there was even a little leftover. Does it taste like it has beef in it? Not really. But it's so tasty, my carnivore company ate with relish and even went back for more.  I'd call that a successful swap.





VEGAN TACO SALAD



1 lb. veggie crumbles or seitan, food-processed to look like crumbles
2 Tbs. olive oil
1 Tbs. Montreal steak seasoning
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp. onion powder
1 sweet onion, chopped
10 cups lettuce, any kind, cut into bite size
2 large tomatoes, diced
1 cup shredded vegan cheddar cheese
2 cups crushed tortilla chips
Salt and pepper to taste

Brown the veggie crumbles or chopped seitan in 2 Tbs. olive oil. Salt and pepper to taste. Add the garlic, onion powder, and steak seasoning. Allow the mixture to sit off the heat while you prepare the rest of the dish. This will give it time to absorb the seasonings.

In a very large bowl, put the onion, tomato, lettuce, vegan cheese and salt and pepper. Mix together as you would a salad so all the ingredients are dispersed. Add the crumbles. Add the crushed tortilla chips. Taste for seasoning.

Serve with an array of sauces on the table. My favorite is taco sauce, but salsa or any hot sauce would be good, depending on personal preferences.

Serves 4


The recipe above is my standard taco salad. You can add anything else
you wish: avocado, beans, black olives or whatever floats you boat.



1 comment:

  1. I love your blog, I look forward to seeing more from you. Do you run any other sites? thanks

    ReplyDelete