Sunday, August 9, 2009

2nd Sunday is my vegan day

I'm starting with baby steps toward a healthier lifestyle that benefits Mother Earth. Presently, I am an omnivore, but I admire the will power and integrity of vegetarians. Now eating as a vegan, without dairy products, is even more challenging. So, today I started with..

Breakfast: 1/2 a cantaloupe juiced in juicer with peel for the fullest nutritional value. It must be organic, naturally. This frothy and delicious shake is surprisingly satisfying.

Snack: raw almonds. Low fat, high in protein.

Lunch: Fast Salad--canned black beans and corn, drained. Mix with chopped avocado and tomato, all flavored wth a splash of balsamic dressing. If you use heirloom tomatoes, the flavor intensifies.


Snack: Hummus dip, with red, yellow and orange bell peppers. I am enamoured with Trader Joes brand of Spicy Hummus. Any chopped vegetables will suffice, as long as it is fresh and tasty to you.

Dinner: Taco Salad--heat Mexican style seasoned veggie crumbles, soy based, high in protein and zero fat and cholesterol. I use Smart Ground brand. Add soy cheese to melt into it and layer on top of tortilla chips. It's fun to experiment with blue or red chips. Then top with chopped romaine, green onions, tomatoes, avocado ( you can use up any left overs from the Fast Salad like I did).

Dessert: Homemade peach pie. Crust made with Smart Balance margarine, becuse the other margarins have hydrogenated oils or trans fatty acids that are very bad for you.

This was perfect diet for optimum health. The bounty of summer farmers markets is inspirational. Once I get into the habit of once a month, I hope to increase my vegan days to once a week. Let's all pledge to avoid mass produced, polluting animal products. There are alternative, smaller, natural farms that don't abuse the animals and planet.

No comments:

Post a Comment