Monday, January 11, 2010

First Vegan meal - ever!

I am new to this blog - invited by my California Auntie.  A new challenge for myself, my husband and 3 kids - ages 11, 10, 5.  One Vegan meal a week.  An interesting experiment to put together a meal containing NOTHING from an animal - not even a bee!  I don't cook from many boxes, and  try to put together well balanced healthy meals daily.   We don't each much red meat, and have considered becoming a vegetarian at different times in my life, as has my 10 year old daughter.   But Vegan? I wondered how hard it would be, and thought I would give the animals of the world a break once a week....   here is my first attempt.

Falafel's
Used Fantastic World Foods all natural Falafel Mix.
Topping:  Lettuce, shredded. Tomato, diced.  Cucumber, sliced. Red Onion, sliced.  Tzatziki sauce, flat bread (no honey... I checked!  Some brands contained honey)
We also had left over Quinoa Tabouli I picked up a day before at the Eastside Co-op;
and pineapple as sides.

Tzatziki Sauce:
(Thanks to blog Vegan Dad for the recipe)
1 box tofu
juice of lemon
2 cloves garlic, pressed
2 T. canola oil
1 tsp kosher salt
fresh group pepper
3 tsp. dried dill
1/4. tsp paprika
pinch cayenne
1 c. finely chopped cucumber,
       pressed in paper towels to remove excess water
Mix all together and set aside until you are ready to eat. 


The feedback??
Husband - loved.  (He was the only one in the family who had ever had a Falafel...)
Me - ok.  Would rather make a salad with all the fixings, and skip the Falafel.  Spices not my cup of tea.
Oldest child: peppery, spicy.  Ok.
Youngest children:  .....ended up with natural PB on their flat bread, and ate their pineapple.

I think everyone was somewhat open to the experiement...really opened up discussion at the dinner table. What to make next week??

No comments:

Post a Comment