Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Big Cover-Up

The time change is still playing tricks on me. Normally I'm a morning person. Lately I'm not sure what I am. Business is slow, so I can push my morning starting bell a little later. Which often results in me being the cartoon you see of the women in her home office in her robe and bunny slippers. Not Good. Not Right.

Evening finds me outside until I can't see. Then I'm all charged with oxygen and want to stay up late. There is no rhyme or reason. Tuesday I was up a 5. It was still dark. Tonight, I type this at 10pm. Not sleepy.

Meals are not regular either. On Monday I had one of my brighter moments and cooked up a big pot of buckwheat grouts so breakfast would be easy all week. And so evolved "The Big Cover-Up".

Buckwheat is a complete protein. That's comforting isn't it? But the flavor is tipped a little to the left. Lopsided. Nutty? Not really. Sweet? A little itty-bitty. Odd? That's the word. I'm not thrilled with buckwheat neat. So, every morning I put a cup of cooked buckwheat into the bowl and take it to the pantry to see what else it can be.

This morning it was a few golden raisins, then a dozen raw almonds, about 1/2 cup of unsweetened coconut, a shake of cinnamon, a drizzle of real maple syrup, and about a 1/2 cup of rice milk. Into the microwave for a couple of minutes. Out it came. I could still see a bit of buckwheat, so I sliced up some strawberries. The cover-up was complete and delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment