Monday, April 26, 2010

I Wouldn't Make a Good Boy Scout

Well, I stunk it up this weekend... I found that it's very hard to make a nice Vegan meal to photograph and post if you're not prepared. My pantry wasn't much help... I feel as if I snacked all day instead of really eating. My porridge tasted and smelled like play-dough (too much salt) and my dinner consisted of whole wheat spaghetti and a jar of sauce. I almost gave in at lunch and went through a drive-thru, but I made a commitment and I stuck to it! :) I've also run out of creative juices for today's post. I've been working so hard on our adoption story for a friend's blog that I've run dry... hopefully I'll do better next week. Here's what I wish I had made:

Rainbow Veggie Chili

Ingredients
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 zucchini, sliced
1 yellow squash, sliced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 fresh jalapeno pepper, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, chopped
1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes, with liquid
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
1 (15 ounce) can chili beans in spicy sauce, undrained
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste

Directions
  1. Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Stir in zucchini, yellow squash, red bell pepper, green bell pepper, jalapeno, garlic, and onion. Cook 5 minutes, just until tender.
  2. Mix tomatoes with liquid, tomato paste, black beans, corn, and chili beans in spicy sauce into the pot. Season with chili powder, oregano, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
I'll go to the store soon to be ready for next week! See you then!

Love,

Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment