Honestly, I can attest that side by side with regular chocolate chip cookies, these hold their own. I have been baking cookies for over three decades. My husband and I are bona fide cookie monsters. So trust me when I tell you that this recipe makes for great flavor and normal texture. Unlike regular cookies, you have to refrigerate the dough overnight before baking them. So plan accordingly.
- Melt the margarine completely in a sauce pan over medium heat.
- Blend flour, salt, and baking soda together.
- Pour melted margarine in a mixing bowl. Add vanilla, sugars, and applesauce. Cream on medium speed.
- In a small bowl, mix baking powder, oil, and water together vigorously until frothy. Add to margarine mixture changing speed to low. Add milk mixing at low speed again.
- Slowly add flour mixture mixing at low until doughy. Stir in chips and walnuts by hand.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight for at least 8 hours.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray cookie sheets with vegetable spray.
- Drop by teaspoons onto sheets. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Cool on cookie sheets for 5 minutes before transferring to cooling racks.
I found this recipe on VegWeb.com. as "They're Vegan?!?!" but I have slightly modified it.