Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Hippocrates

This is a short post about why I decided to try Vegan once a week.

"Let food be your medicine." Hippocrates

My friend tells a funny story about being at a fancy banquet, sitting next to a fancy lady. The fancy lady pushed the bread basket away and declared that she had a gluten allergy. My friend asked her what happened if she ate bread and the fancy lady said, "Explosive diarrhea."

The commercials for antacid products never mention allergies. They do show humans eating spicy food, pizza, hot dogs and in general being gluttonous. Any bells ringing? Any clues here?

A nurse practitioner was the first to apply science to my complaints of fatigue, rash, indigestion and foggy head. Twice. The first test she gave me was a blood test. It came back showing a long list of allergies. I casually tried to change my diet. I needed a second test years later, showing the same food allergies, to convince me that food was the culprit. Since then I have been gluten, dairy, egg and soy free. And I am happier.

Here's the thing that isn't usually mentioned. Food allergies can cause depression. I thought depression meant you were sad and troubled. But I didn't have anything to be sad or troubled about. I couldn't be depressed. And thank goodness my RNCNP didn't suggest taking a mood enhancing drug.

Food is my medicine. My rash is gone, indigestion is a thing of the past, my head is clear, I sleep better and I have more energy. Food. Chemistry. My personal chemistry kit is balanced. Vegan once a week is part of the fine tuning process. I am finding the best me with food. Imagine that.

No comments:

Post a Comment