Monday, December 14, 2009

Sonsie's Cranberry Salsa

Where Mid North meets South West
A Work in Progress

12 oz Fresh Cranberries, ground
1/2 orange with peel, ground

1 Tbls Jalapeno pepper chopped
2 scallions sliced (2 Tbls)
1 Tbls diced fresh ginger
2 -4 Tbls Watercress
1 - 2 Tbls lime juice
1.5 Tbls agave syrup
salt and pepper to taste


Somewhere in your cupboard you may have a meat grinder. I do. It took some time but I found it and washed it up to make cranberry salsa. I looked at many cranberry salsa recipes and was tempted to copy one until I went shopping. I was at Lassens in Ventura where I found Upland Cress. It's a watercress on steriods. So beautiful, it called out to me, "take me home I'll be great in the cranberry salsa". What could I do? I had to invent my own cranberry salsa to accommodate the super cress. If you don't have Upland Cress in your market, watercress will work.

In the meat grinder, grind the cranberries and the orange. Meat grinder for a vegan salsa. It's poetry.
Chop the jalepeno, the scallions, the ginger. Super Cress has to be chopped. Watercress may not, just pull off the leaves and measure 2-4 Tbls. Add the lime juice, agave syrup, salt and pepper and taste.

My challenge to you. Make a batch. Improve my recipe and let me know about it. It could be a prize winner.

No comments:

Post a Comment