Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Time for Tofu - Kung Pao style

Week 3 - Time to try Tofu!  I have tried cooking with it several times over the years, but unsuccessfully.  It pays to go to the library, and do a little research. I didn't know you had to press the water out.  I didn't know the differences between silken and extra firm.  I really does matter!

Kung Pao Tofu from The Vegan Family Cookbook by Brian McCarthy 
Serves 5

4 cups rice (I used Instant Brown for times sake)
2 T. sesame oil
1 small onion, diced (I cut on the diagonal)
5 ribs celery, diced (Cut these on diagonal also - looks better)
         (Used organic celery - WOW!  who knew celery had flavor??)
8 oz tofu  (I used Firm. Pressed.  Marinated in Teriyaki sauce)
1/4 c. Peanut, almond or soy butter (I used PB)
1/3 c. soy sauce
1 tsp garlic
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)  (I doubled - spicy!!)
1 1/4 c. cold water
2 T. cornstarch
Garnish with:  roasted peanuts and chopped green onions - need these for color for sure!

Saute onions and celery in sesame oil until tender.  (These alone were yummy!)
Add tofu, nut butter, soy sauce, garlic, and cayenne pepper. Stir well.
In small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and water.  Add to pan.
Over med. heat, cook until hot and thickened, stirring frequently.
Serve over rice.  Garnish. 

DELISH!!   My 11 year old ate it right up - didn't mind the tofu.  I overdid it on the cayenne - too spicy for the younger two. (I love spicy!) My husband came home just after we finished, sat down and ate 2 plate-fulls.  Had no idea it was our Vegan meal....thought it was chicken...

Using sauces I had in the cupboard, and even with organic celery - this was a relatively inexpensive meal.  Much cheaper than if I had used chicken!  And it came together VERY quickly.  Definatley will make again.   Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment