Monday, April 12, 2010

Vegan on the Go (Minus One Little Detail)

Well, my first Vegan day was a success. I did well with what I ate. Started the morning off with the Apple and Oat Porridge that I reference last Friday (btw, I'm switching to blogging on Monday's... it works better for my family). I used more raisins for sweetness, left out the caraway and added dried cranberries. It was good, but I wish I had used a Braeburn apple for more tartness. Fortunately I ate it before my husband came in and made BACON! Funny enough, I wasn't tempted to eat any... weird, hu? So, it was my littlest one's birthday and we let him choose what we did all day after church (our family tradition for birthdays). He wanted to go to McDonald's for lunch, so, I quickly grabbed my husband's iPhone and looked up vegan information on McDonald's. Unfortunately what I found wasn't very helpful and mostly out of date (old products), so, I quizzed the cashier on the ingredients of a few things and then ordered a WONDERFULLY DELICIOUS salad... I am going to share it's ingredients and how to order it as my recipe of the day (Vegan on the Go style):

McDonald's Southwest Salad

Request NO Chicken or Cheese
And ask for Newman's Own Light Balsamic Vinaigrette
Salad Dressing (the dressing it comes with has egg)

The rest is:
Salad Mix
Southwest Vegetable Blend (black beans, corn, carrots, maybe something else)
Cilantro Lime Glaze (don't know the ingredients of this, so I can't vouch for it for a strict Vegan)
Chili Lime Tortilla Strips Lime Wedge

After lunch, we did more fun things and about the time I got hungry for a snack we were at Target and I grabbed one of my favorite on-the-go snacks which just so happens to be VEGAN!
I LOVE Sabra's little hummus/pretzel to go containers. They're a little costly for a small serving, but my plan one day is to buy a big container of hummus, a bag of pretzel chips, re-use their container and make my own to-go snacks... just haven't done that yet. :)

For dinner I had a lovely Cranberry Spinach salad from the day before (click photo for link to recipe on AllRecipes).

Overall the day was surprisingly easy. The only time it was slightly difficult was when I opened the refrigerator door and saw a big, ol' stack of cheese from my littlest one's birthday party (swiss, provolone, cheddar) and thought, "Man, that looks good!" But, I didn't have any. :)

So, all in all, the eating was good and easy. I was really glad to be able to keep my Coke, although a friend questioned is "veganess" on FB, which lead to some research on my part. I found that Coca Cola Classic is considered Vegan and I found some interesting information... it turns out being vegan isn't so much about being healthy as it is about being kind to animals (you probably already knew that). So, I guess I missed one little detail on my Vegan day... I wore leather shoes all day long! Guess I need to find some appropriate footwear and clothing for next Sunday. And can I sit on my leather couch or drive my car with leather seats? (Is that making some of you scream? Sorry about that!)

Love,

Michelle

(I'll be posting photos from my littlest ones birthday later today or tomorrow on my other blog, just click on my name if you want to see more) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment