Thursday, May 19, 2011

Eating Out Vegan

The omnivores took me to at Mary's Secret Garden in Ventura for lunch on Saturday. It's a small vegan restaurant right in my backyard. Walking in I felt like I had walked into an episode of  The Veg Edge. We could see a small kitchen behind a curtained door, eight little tables dotted the room. The atmosphere was quiet and friendly. One patron was working on his computer. A couple were talking quietly in a corner. A regular walked in and the staff greeted her by name and took her to her regular table.

Our waitress (also an omnivore) carefully explained the menu and specials. She easily accommodated my food allergies, noting small adjustments on her order pad. We may be omnivores, but everyone of us loves a food adventure.

Burrito Bowl
I ordered the burrito bowl. It was a bowl full of goodness. Garbanzo beans, brown rice, chipotle cashew cheese, cilantro, red onion, tomatoes, olives, creamy cilantro jalapeno sauce and a Pico salad on the side. Notice that it is served in a big white bowl to show off all the color. Normally it would have been wrapped up in a flour tortilla, but with my wheat allergy they served it this way, with 4 small corn tortillas on the side.




Tofu Pad Thai

Whole wheat pasta, creamy ginger peanut sauce, grilled tofu, basil, shredded cabbage, carrots, cilantro, sprouts and lime make the Tofu Pad Thai.

I will not hesitate to take my next house guest to this restaurant.
The dishes are inviting, flavorful and memorable. And healthy. And filling. And I'm pretty sure I won't be waiting for a house guest as an excuse to go back for more myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment