Friday, April 9, 2010

Super Size Me in Reverse

When John asked me to consider eating Vegan once a week and then blog about it, he told me...
It's not that hard.
Eat vegan three meals one day.
No dairy. You have to come up with one recipe to post.
"Hmmm.... that's not bad," I thought. And replied, "Ah, you know I love a good challenge!"

Then, he said...
No milk, no meat, no honey. It's just one day.
"No cheese????" I replied.
No cheese. No cream. No dairy or dead meat at all.
I had to think about it a minute. And then said, "Ok, I'm up for the challenge!"

But wait, there were more rules...
No mayo either. And nothing with whey.
To which I replied, "What's whey?!"

And now I've been thinking, "WHAT HAVE I GOTTEN MYSELF INTO????!!!!!"

You see, here's something you need to know about me... I LOVE chicken! I LOVE cheese! I LOVE Tex-Mex! And I LOVE Cokes! Those 4 things make up most of my meals. When I get hungry at some point in the afternoon, I grab a cheese stick. When I'm out and want a bite, I go through Taco Bueno (Hi, sweet ladies at Taco Bueno!). The phrase, "I feel like chicken tonight" is repeated at our house on a regular basis, unless we're going out for STEAKS! (sorry, can I say that word here?) Heck, I even have a blog called Fajita Lovers! You get the picture?

I'm sure you can understand why I'm a little nervous about this adventure. But, at the same time, I'm really looking forward to it! I think I'll take Debbie's advice and go to StickK.com to keep me on track. Maybe I'll put $40 out there and commit to eating Vegan once a week until my 40th birthday in August. (40th!!!)

So, here it goes... I'll start my Once-A-Week-Vegan-Reverse-Super-Size-Me Experiment this Sunday (I picked Sunday because I only have to make 2 meals at home since we eat out after church. I'm sure they'll have some good vegan salads wherever we go).

And for my first meal I plan to make:

(drumroll, please.......)

Apple and Oat Porridge

Ingredients:

4 cups water
1 ½ cups oat bran (not oatmeal)
1 large apple - peeled/cored and chopped into very small pieces
1/3 cup raisins
½ teaspoon ground caraway seeds
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt
Soy milk for serving (optional)

Preparation:
1. In a 2 quarts sauce pan over high heat, bring the water to a boil. Stir in the oat bran and allow water to return to a boil.
2. Reduce heat to low and cook for two minutes - stirring often.
3. After two minutes, turn off heat. Stir in the apple, raisins, and spices. Let stand until apple pieces soften - about 5 minutes - stirring occasionally.
4. Divide hot cereal evenly among 4 bowls. Serve with the soy milk if desired.

Yield: 4 servings

(from The Daniel Fast)

I'll take pictures and let you know how Sunday goes! See you next Friday!

Michelle

Oh, wait! Here's a question I REALLY need the answer to: Are Tex-Mex restaurant tortilla chips vegan? I hope so!

No comments:

Post a Comment