Saturday, May 8, 2010

Beans, Kale and Polenta




Sometimes, the simplest of meals are the most enjoyable. Beans, kale and polenta do not sound very exciting, I know, but when they are cooked together slowly and with sturdy garlic, onion and chiles they attain a whole new level of taste. They meld together quite nicely, these three ingredients that are quite bland when served alone. Other than the recipe, I have not much to add this week. I am still in awe of my son John's last blog post. It was a wonderful Mother's Day gift to me. On occasion, I will share a picture of my puppy, Mozart along with my recipe. Today is one of those times. Enjoy the recipe and the picture, see you next week!


Beans, Kale and Polenta
2 Tbsp. oil
1 small onion
4-5 cloves minced garlic
1 tsp. crushed red chile pepper
1 lb. kale, cut small
1 15 oz. can navy beans, drained
3-4 cups vegetable stock
1 tube of prepared polenta
I used polenta flavored with sun dried tomato and garlic.


Saute onion in oil until soft. Add garlic and red pepper and
saute for a 1 min more.
Add the kale and stock and cook until kale is crisp tender.
Add the beans and cook for 15 minutes more.

I slice the polenta, steam it and then add it to the dish at the time to serve. Quick fry a whole dry chile pepper to top the dish.


No comments:

Post a Comment