Thursday, May 13, 2010

Wednesday Light

What a wonderful weekend I had. Saturday I helped the Dutch Brothers sell flowers under the sun, by the sea in Santa Monica. Beautiful flowers, colorful people, good friends by my side. It was fun. Then I drove 30 minutes across town to West Hollywood to visit my daughter and her husband. A block from their apartment, stopped at a red light, I picked up my cell phone and called them to let them know I was minutes away. "HHHHello?" My voice was locking up. That was strange. 30 minutes ago I was talking fine.

Well, that was the beginning of laryngitis. Today is Thursday and I have progressed from no voice, to squeaky fence, to gravel road, to sandpaper. It will be a few more days before normal is back. All along I have felt good. No sore throat. But definitely my appetite is off and my energy down. I have been forcing fluids. Green Tea. Honey, lemon, ginger tea. Warm orange juice.

Yesterdays vegan menu started with my buckwheat, nuts and berry breakfast. Lunch? Not very interested. I threw together a salad. Dinner. I stir fried some greens I got at the farmers market with a potato. Between meals I munched on some deep fried garlic that John sent me. Unlike potato chips, you can eat only a few at a time. Whoo-EE are they good. And all day I drank warm liquids.

My recipe for today comes from an old Martha Stewart magazine.

Ginger simple syrup
MAKES 3/4 CUP
4 ounces fresh ginger, thinly sliced
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup granulated sugar
In a small saucepan, bring all ingredients to a boil over medium heat. Cook 2 minutes. Strain the mixture through a sieve, discarding ginger. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 1 week.
Hot Honey Lemonade with Ginger
1/2 cup ginger simple syrup
4 TBLS freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 tsp honey
3 cups boiling water
12 whole cloves
4 lemon wedges
12 honey-drop candies
1. Pour 2 TBLS simple syrup in each of four heatproof glasses or mugs. Add 1 TBLS lemon juice, 1 tsp honey and 3/4 cup boiling water to each. Stir until honey dissolves.
2. Stick 3 cloves into each lemon wedge; drop a wedge and 3 candies into each drink.
Serve immediately.
I'm sure that warm cups of goodness have helped my throat.

No comments:

Post a Comment