Sunday, May 23, 2010

Spring Roll Salad




I have Spring fever. The weather has finally changed for the better, warm, sunny and beautiful evening coolness for sleeping comfortably. I check my perennial flower bed every day, not only for pesty weeds, but most especially for blooms. This week my (Forget-me-nots?) - help me here, John, are in bloom. I am enclosing a picture of them in the hopes that my son, John, can identify them for me. The Vegan recipe was an inspiration from a Spring Roll recipe, minus the shrimp. I think that it worked out well and it tasted great. You can make this dish as spicy or as mild as you like. Thai red curry paste is a bit hot, but has a wonderful flavor.


Spring Roll Salad :

1 pkg. Nasoya tofu, drained and cubed

Marinade for the tofu:

2 tsp. Thai red curry paste
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. vegetable oil
1/4 tsp. salt
1 clove garlic, finely minced

Salad ingredients:

1/2 head iceberg lettuce, shredded
1 carrot, finely julienned
1 cucumber, cut in half moons
1 red pepper, finely julienned
1 cup fresh bean sprouts
1/2 cup finely shredded cabbage
Chopped green onions, as many as you like
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
2-4 oz. rice noodles cooked according to directions
I used the rice noodles that are shaped like linguine

Salad dressing:

4 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
2 tsp. sugar
1- 2 Tbsp. fresh ginger, minced
1 Tbsp. tamari sauce
1 Tbsp. chili garlic sauce
1/8 tsp. red curry paste, optional
1 finely minced garlic clove
3 Tbsp. vegetable oil

Marinate tofu for an hour or more. Then saute it vegetable til crisp on both sides.
Make salad dressing
Cook noodles and drain in cold water.
Arrange noodles in bottom of dish.
Mix vegetables together and place over noodles.
Arrange marinated tofu cubes over the top of salad.
Add dressing just before serving.






No comments:

Post a Comment