Tuesday, April 12, 2011

A Green Goddess





In November I plant Swiss chard and ornamental cabbages in my front garden to add color for the winter. As Spring approaches and the weather warms the Swiss Chard takes off. It spreads out its beautiful green ruffled leaves, shows off its yellow, crimson and orange stalks and provides an ingredient that adds flavor and color to many dishes.

I like it best sauteed with a bit of olive oil and garlic and and squeeze of lemon.

A spectacular and simple pasta dish is composed of Swiss chard quickly cooked in salted water and then coarsely chopped, porcini mushrooms that have been lightly sauteed and fettuccine. Pass the nutritional yeast.

Chop it and add it to any salad. Substitute it where you would use spinach. It is a wonderful addition to any soup.

As the weather heats up here in Savannah this green goddess will begin to stress out so I eat it as much as possible now through May. This week I planted my tomatoes, chinese eggplant, basil, parsley and rosemary. Bring on the hot weather!

No comments:

Post a Comment