Friday, February 24, 2012

Faux Beef Stew That's Delicious

For more years than I remember, I've had the epitome of beef stew recipes. I inherited it when my daughter was in the ninth grade and I was asked to be one of the moms who made this dish for a parent meeting. I was told, in no uncertain terms, NOT to change the recipe one iota. It was tried and true and always came out perfect.

Now I know many people think their recipe is the best one ever, but since this was for a school meeting, I did as I was told and followed every instruction to the last degree. When the stew came out of the oven, I gave it a taste and promptly threw my old beef stew recipe into the trash. My kids named the new dish, "The Recipe" and ever after, when they'd come home from school and ask what was for dinner, they were always happy when I'd say, "The Recipe."

Who made this concoction up is unknown to me, but I've been thinking and thinking of a way to duplicate it's inherent deliciousness for nearly a year, ever since the doctor ordered me to become a vegan or risk more intestinal disease surgeries.

Yesterday I thought I might have come up with an answer so I gave it a try and even dared serve it to company. Praises all around. I didn't change a single thing except to substitute seitan for stew meat. Imagine my surprise when my taste buds were fooled into thinking it was quite nearly the real thing.






FAUX BEEF STEW THAT'S DELICIOUS...


1 package store bought seitan
2 Tbs. olive oil
1/4 cup flour
salt and pepper

Break the seitan pieces apart and coat with the flour, salt and pepper mix. Brown in a large pot with the olive oil, but do not cook thoroughly. Set aside.

Scrub 3 carrots and cut into bite size pieces. Do the same with 3 potatoes. I do not peel these vegetables as the vitamins lie right beneath the skin. You do whatever pleases you. I generally use Idaho potatoes, but this time I used fingerling potatoes. I prefer the Idahos.

Put the carrots, potatoes, and 1 medium sliced onion atop the seitan. Add:

1 clove of minced garlic.
1 bay leaf
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. paprika
1/4 tsp. pepper
dash of cloves
1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. sugar

In a separate bowl combine:

1 c. No Beef Broth (use veggie broth if your store doesn't carry the No Beef variety)
2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
1/4 c. red wine (I used Burgundy)

Pour the liquid over the seitan/vegetables in the Dutch Oven. Give everything a stir to mix thoroughly and distribute the spices.

Cover the pot and bake at 350 degree oven for an hour. 

Serves 4

I served this with a side salad and biscuits.


If the need arises, we can cook vegan food that fools our meat eating friends.










No comments:

Post a Comment