Monday, September 5, 2011

A Brief Summer Squash Soup


Have you ever had to get ready to step out on the last hot day of summer? Maybe you're sweaty and feeling sun burnt too? Well I needed a smooth look under a sexy Hawaiian cocktail dress today. After showering off the sand on my feet, I surprised myself with my resourcefulness.
Last summer we hosted five of our Dutch relations, including two of their friends traveling with. One or two nieces here, a brother there. Now, the two young couples in the middle left us with many gifts, of sorts. Since they all suffered terribly from shopping-i-tus, they needed to unload half of what they packed to fit the new stuff into their luggage.
Swap meets and Dumpster diving are familiar forms of acquisition for me. My friends and I bought and sold our worldly goods at the local Sunday swap meet growing up. My friends and neighbors used to find all sorts of perfectly good dairy food still sealed in the grocery store dumpsters back in the 70s. Not to mention all the "found" objects of refuse incorporated into artists' work that I studied in school. Although I have never lowered myself into an actual dumpster, I'm never too proud to accept other peoples' cast offs.
So here we have the young upwardly mobile Europeans leaving behind practically new fashionable men's tops and socks that my dear husband looks smashing in. However, he neglected the one pair of lilac colored boy short briefs. This piece of men's hosiery, if you will, lay static in his drawer.
You get the picture, right? The thought of something feminine and lacy gave me a visible shudder. How do women wear this without it getting permanently wedged? All manner of women's undies dig into my skin to scream PANTY LINES, over here. Spanks? Are you kidding me? How do women breathe wearing those? That pretty pair of boys underwear called to me. Mmm. Do I wear it backwards of forwards, since there is so much excess room in the front? Unwelcome visuals of the last owner of these briefs surface in my mind, so I quickly match the cotton crotch to mine and threw on my dress! I would wager that men's intimate apparel is a fraction of the cost of women's. If you fore go buying meats, you can save even more money.

Summer Squash Soup
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 yellow onion, chopped
2-4 lbs of yellow squash, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons olive oil
1-2 red bell peppers, chopped bite sized
4-6 ounces crimini mushroom, sliced

Heat stock pot and add olive oil. Fry chopped onions until translucent. Put into pot the squash and add water to fill the spaces between but not to completely submerge. Puree with a hand blender or by whatever means available. Heat another skillet and add 3 more tablespoons of olive oil. Fry the bell peppers and mushrooms until tender. Mix these into the squash puree and season to taste.  








       

No comments:

Post a Comment