Thursday, January 26, 2012

Juicing for Better Health


The bright color of 1/4 beet almost takes over the orange carrots
 This is the second blog along the way of my juice fast. I made it through the first two days, extended to three because of my digression at a dinner party. Now, see, I could have just given up, but my resolve is better health and hopefully longevity. So back up on that horse I trod.

After the two days of only fruit and vegetables (steamed or raw), the only seasoning would be soy sauce, Bragg's Liquid Aminos, or lemon juice; its time for juice, water, and herbal teas. As outlined in my previous blogs here, every morning you must gulp down 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil mixed with 1/2 a lemon (or a whole small one). This recalls the horror tales of cod liver oil forced on my mother's childhood or the beef liver she thought would be good for mine. I sat alone at the table long after my brothers were excused, obstinately looking at that disgusting organ. Luckily for me, we had a dog, who patiently waited for me to sneak pieces between my bare toes. Regardless of the taste, the oil and lemon juice cleanses your liver and gall bladder. Lord knows they need it, right? Just rinse your mouth with a strong tasting chaser: fruit juice or very strong flavored tea (like Good Earth original).

Every day you will also need to take a natural fiber supplement. Rota Rooter time people! There are many products to choose from at your health food store. I've used Perfect 7 in the past, and bought Organic Bowel Cleanse by Renew Life this time. One scoop in 8 ounces of water either morning or night or both! Once you stop eating solids, bowel movements slow down. Increase your fiber if you don't "go" for two days running.
  
Drink as much water as possible, at least one quart. Try for 2 or more! This cleans your biggest organ, the skin and helps to clear the kidneys. Also every day, drink one ounce of wheat grass juice. Most juice bars serve these up, although I did notice powders and pills in the vitamin sections of your average health store, if you have trouble finding fresh. I've been told wheat grass oxygenates the blood, and gives one energy. Maybe I need to imbibe more wheat grass on the first two days of this diet. I wonder if I could battle my dragging fatigue better with more of it?

Day three, time to juice. It's perfectly fine to start out the gate juicing, but I wait because after a few days of nothing but, your taste buds get real tired of it. Besides, what a nuisance to clean your juicer! I learned a lot about nutrition and good recipes by reading Jay Kordich's Juice Man. Generally don't mix fruit and vegetables, with some exceptions. Carrots, apples, celery, pears, grapes are special. Mix away. Only incorporate one fourth greens (except for celery and cucumbers, which you can drink perfectly safely) into your drink, too much is actually toxic. After all, we're not cows! Kordich also warns against too much beet. Never drink more than 1/4 of large or 1/2 of a small. Again, too potent! I will get into some of my favorite recipes next time.
    

Here I start with the pungent garlic, onions, radish, and earthy sweet potato.

After you juice some good greens, fill out the balance with carrots

No comments:

Post a Comment