Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Buttercup Squash

Buttercup Squash is a boxy, squat, dark green, solid looking vegetable. But it's light. (This one was anyway, maybe some are heavier, maybe it depends on what kind of a rain year we are having.) I didn't get a picture of it before I cut it in half, sorry. You can see from the pictures below that the flesh is not thick. So when I cut this Buttercup in half and dug out the seeds, it presented me with two bowls. What should I do with these two bowls?

This is what I did. I looked around, in the pantry, in the refrigerator, in the fruit bowl. I checked my spices. I was determined to go savory, not sweet. I didn't want the maple syrup/ brown sugar and butter squash of my past. 

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F

A drizzle of Olive Oil in each pumpkin bowl (1 Tablespoon each)
Followed by a generous shake of salt, pepper and cinnamon.
I had a small package of chili pepper that comes with pizza when it's delivered and divided it between the bowls.
I chopped up 4 small apples - about 3 cups and about 1/2 cup of walnuts and stirred them together before spooning them into the squash halves. 
Cover with aluminum foil and put into the oven for 30 minutes.
Then uncover for the remaining 30 minutes. 

So Pretty.
YUM
You could use pears instead of apples. You could add celery, onion or cranberries. You could change the spices. It's a dish the lends itself to experimentation. 

To take advantage of the oven heat, I also roasted 2 head of garlic at the same time and served them alongside the squash. It was a very nice compliment to the natural subtle sweetness of the squash.

No comments:

Post a Comment