Friday, June 15, 2012

How About A BLT--Vegan Style

One of my most favorite sandwiches has always been the BLT--bacon, lettuce, and tomato. Truth be told, I am a sandwich lover all the way around. My hubby was too and never once in our 53 years of marriage, did he ever complain about getting a sandwich for supper. In the winter I'd pair it with a hefty bowl of home made soup; summer with a huge fruit bowl. If I felt ambitious, I'd make oven french fries to add a starch to the meal. Most of the time I took the easy way out and just tossed some frozen fries in the oven and called it good.

Now I have to say that I've tried many of the vegan bacon's that are on the grocery shelves. I found all of them wanting in one way or another. Too much smoke, not enough smoke, no hint of bacon taste. The list goes on. Then I came upon a way to make tofu bacon in my own oven. I'm being honest here when I tell you it doesn't taste like bacon. It doesn't smell like bacon. But when paired with sourdough bread, big slices of red tomato and crisp lettuce, it teases the brain into thinking I might really be chowing down on the real thing. Or not. But I will tell you this. It is easy to make, easy on the pocketbook, and I got a whole baggie full of the stuff for the cost of a block of tofu.

BACON, LETTUCE, AND TOMATO SANDWICH



Prepare the tofu bacon.

1 12 oz. package of extra firm tofu, drained and pressed of its water
2-4 Tbs. vegetable oil
Smoked salt (I used a smokey bbq salt from Penzeys)

Slice the tofu into thin slices, about 1/8" thick. You should get 20-25 slices of "bacon." 

Use the largest skillet you have so there is a lot of "floor" space for the tofu to fry on.

Season one side of the tofu heavily with any smoked salt or smoky spice you like. 

Heat 2 Tbs. of the oil in the skillet set on medium heat. Carefully slip the tofu slices into the pan, making sure not to crowd them or they will steam and not fry.

Cook them for 4-5 minutes, then flip the slices over and cook them on the other side. The slices will become chewy. That is what you want. Total cooking time should be 8-10 minutes.

Drain the slices on paper towels, just as you would real bacon. Cook in batches if necessary. Unless you're feeding a crowd, you'll have "bacon" leftover for the next time you want a BLT.

Happy Eating.

Tofu bacon spits when fried, just like real bacon does. Now you know.












No comments:

Post a Comment