Since growing tired of my menu of these usual staples, I had an epiphany: Why not use a medium mushroom cap as a foundation for the perfect mini pizza bites? And lo, the mini pesto pizza bite was created!
|Mini Pesto Pizza Bites with Roasted Zucchini Wedges|
You will need:
- 6 medium portobello mushrooms
- 2 tsp of pesto
- 1/4 cup of Italian cheese (vegan)
- A few handfuls of spinach
- Your favorite Italian herbs
- Olive Oil
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees, lightly oil a baking sheet, and set six stemmed mushrooms face down to bake for five minutes. Flip mushrooms over and bake another five minutes before setting aside.
- While the mushrooms are baking, wilt a few handfuls of chopped spinach in a lightly oiled skillet along with the diced stems from the mushrooms. Add any of your favorite Italian herbs for seasoning.
- Spoon a bit of pesto sauce into each mushroom cap, fill with spinach, and top with cheese.
- Return to oven to bake until cheese has melted.
- Great as a snack, appetizer, and even dinner when accompanied by a small salad or roasted zucchini wedges (as shown.) Enjoy!