Saturday, June 5, 2010

First Post 4 Me!

I have always been a vegetarian, a fact that I pat myself on the back for here and there. When asked to join this blog, I realized just how many of my recipes call for some kind of dairy. I’m not too happy to discover how dependant I am on animal products after all. So it took me some time to figure out what food to share. And it made me admire vegans who are the super-vegetarians in my book!
When planning my garden, I saw someone had made a salad from red cabbage that looked so very tasty. So that’s what I decided to try, with my own variations. And my family loves French bread, which calls for no eggs. So here we go.
I started by dropping by the famous Harry & David’s in Medford, Oregon to pick up some produce. I took a couple pictures of their produce to share with you but then I was told they don’t allow photography. I am just glad they did not confiscate my camera or drag me out of there in hand cuffs!


Harry & David's vine ripened tomatoes make me anxious for our plants to start producing.




Georgious peppers!

One of those red cabbages went home with me.






Red Cabbage Salad with Sesame Dressing

Light but satisfying salad with an oriental taste. Serve this with crusty French bread & iced tea.
This was a hit with my family, including my 12 year old that usually doesn’t like vegetables. My husband had four servings! It must have been the cilantro I picked from our garden, or the cashews that always seem, great with anything. Anyway, here’s how to do it:
• 1 carrot, julienned
• 6 green onions, sliced
• 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves removed from stems
• cashews – a couple hands full
• 1 head red cabbage cut into thin pieces – very thin makes it easier to eat
• 1/2 cup toasted sesame seeds
For Salad: Toss all ingredients together and coat with dressing when ready to serve.


Sesame Dressing
• 1/4 cup rice vinegar
• 1/4 cup sesame oil
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 2 tablespoons white sugar
• 1 tablespoon ground ginger
• 2 tablespoons soy sauce
• 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
• 1 teaspoon ground coriander
• 2 teaspoons prepared yellow mustard


For Dressing
Blend all ingredients for the dressing in the blender until the sugar has dissolved.

No comments:

Post a Comment