Friday, June 25, 2010

Summer is here!

And I think the Arkansas Chamber of Commerce has some explaining to do. It is hot. Africa hot. It is not Texas hot it is just that the humidity is at or over 94% for the last week. And I have not felt much like cooking. But Debbie and Mary have been have been making some masterpieces and I hate like hell to get shown up. So I have cooked for the blog twice this week. Both recipes from Jack Bishop's book A Year in a Vegetarian Kitchen. I love this book. My only complaint is that everything seems to be just a bit under spiced. He cautions against a recipe being spicy but we have not found that to be the case. So I always double the heat.


My first blog entry was to be a cold curried squash soup. I made it with locally grown squash and onions from the Fayetteville Farmer's Market and it turned out great. The photos came out beautifully. Only problem was I did not have a camera card in the camera. Mr. Carnivore says I can get them out of the camera if I can find the little cord that came with the camera that connects into the computer. As if. If the photos ever make it out of the camera I will share them with you. So last night was plan b. Not a cold dish for a hot summer eve but it does cool off nicely after the sun goes down. I need to stop complaining. It is not Texas hot.


Pan Glazed Tofu with Thai Red Curry Sauce


1/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
1/4 cup vegetable broth
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon Thai red curry paste(double it)
1 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon peanut oil
1 lb extra firm tofu, pressed and drained and cut into 1/2" slabs(I made smaller chunks)
2 tablespoons chopped salted peanuts
1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro leaves(or a handful)



Combine the coconut milk, broth, soy sauce, lime juice, curry paste and sugar in a small bowl and set aside.

Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add the tofu and cook until golden brown, 6 to 7 minutes. (This is where I added julienned red peppers) Turn and cook until golden brown on the second side about 5 minutes.

Add the coconut milk mixture to the pan and simmer, turning the tofu until the liquid reduces to a thick syrup and the tofu is glazed. Transfer to a serving dish, garnish with the peanuts and cilantro and serve.



Follow up with Debbie's granita from yesterday. It really is incredible. She knows how to live!

No comments:

Post a Comment