Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Persimmon & Pomegranate Salad

This delightful side salad was adored by all (except for my picky nephew)

I think of myself as a turkey. Probably because my birthday lands close to Thanks Giving. I tend to be a scattered in thought and action. In my tween years I was also marked by an uncle who over used the pet name "turkey lips." I mean he actually worked it into every verbal interchange, but we couldn't get irritated. He delivered "Turkey Lips" with a feigned stern look and a glimmer of hilarity, and quite possibly a slur of alcohol. Then he would make sure we young ones understood the absurdity. "Because you know turkeys don't have lips!" Now that I'm officially middle aged, my neck is starting to resemble that wattled, stringy neck of my mascot too. Why is letting go of my vanity is so hard?

For the last eight years, ever since my brother married and spawned I've hosted Thanks Giving feast, while they put on Christmas dinner. We two sister-in-laws enthusiastically embrace our respective holidays. She enjoys decorating her house for Christmas whereas I don't. I adore the traditional Thanks Giving feast so much that I'm willing to cook and clean for three days straight. No, I'm not ready for tofurkey yet. My mom comes over to help me every year, shouldering most of the fare herself. The fun part is trying out new recipes and sides.

Last year my friend raved about a simple side of pomegranate seeds and persimmons in a vinaigrette. I didn't have a recipe to go on but would you believe, I happen to have pomegranate vinegar on hand? However, with 14 guests for dinner, I was running out of time to get everything done. Here my middle brother, self made gourmet, offered to put this dish together for me. I trusted him completely, besides he's not one to tolerate micro-management anyway. This salad was so fresh; with a perfect balance of sweet, acid, and touch of mint. You need to add this salad to your menu while this fruit is in season!

Persimmon & Pomegranate Salad

2 pomegranates
4 persimmons
1dozen mint leaves
1/4 cup pomegranate vinegar
1/8 cup grape seed oil
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
dash of cinnamon
pinch of salt


1. Peel and chop your fuyu persimmons and put into a bowl. The hachiya fruit is too soft, look for the squat tomato shaped persimmons. These stay firm and slightly crunchy when ripe.

2. Cut open and scoop out the pomegranate seeds to add to the bowl.

3. Measure out the rest of the ingredients into a container with a lid so that you can shake it up to mix. Pour onto fruit just before serving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment