Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Sweet Potato and Cauliflower Soup

The days have been warm and windy in my Southern California city, still, when the sun goes down at 4:45pm, I'm thinking about soup. Light sends messages via the neurotransmitters in my brain, telling me that the winter blues are eminent, best find soup and fast.  


Sweet Potato and Cauliflower Soup
"Beautiful soup, so rich and green
Waiting in a hot tureen!
Who for such dainties would not stoop?
Soup of the evening, beautiful soup!
Beautiful soup! Who cares for fish
Game, or any other dish?
Who would not give all else for two
Pennyworth of beautiful soup?"
Lewis Carroll, ‘Alice in Wonderland’

Lewis Carroll was eating green soup - I think golden soup will make me happier today. I'll serve a green salad with a citrus dressing on the side. It will be cheery and fresh. It will wake me up for a lovely evening of reading or a movie or even a few chores. 


Chop three to four sweet potatoes to measure 4 cups.

Leave the skin on for extra nutrition.
The skin will disappear in the blend later.
(sneaky nutritional cook)

Boil in 4 cups salted water until soft.


Measure 4 cups cauliflower florets - one
medium head cauliflower.

Spread out on a parchment paper
lined cookie sheet and roast
at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes -
until they are slightly browned and
smelling sweet.

 Chop one small sweet onion and 3 cloves of garlic and saute until transparent.

Let everything cool.
Combine all ingredients, reserving some cauliflower florets for garnish, blend until smooth.

I garnished mine with smokey paprika and parsley. You might try turmeric.

This soup is loaded with Vitamins A, C, K, B6, Manganese and protein. It will surely drive the winter blues away. 

No comments:

Post a Comment