Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Sausage, Pepper, & Onion Hoagie

The faux meat products in the vegan aisle are increasing in numbers and while I seldom venture into experimenting with them, I do occasionally purchase something just to see if it tastes like the real thing. I'm usually disappointed. For while the vegan meats are alright, few reach my standard of what tastes like the real thing.

As I did last week, I want to introduce you to a product that is new to me and which will now always be in my refrigerator. While I've tried other vegan sausages and been disappointed, I cooked up some of this sausage and did the happy dance all over the kitchen.

First off, I cut off a good portion of the sausage roll, flattened it into a patty and cooked it over low heat so it would get hot all the way through. All I added to it was salt and pepper. Doggone, it smelled like sausage, looked like sausage and tasted like sausage. I was a happy camper. I made myself some toast, spread it with jam, poured myself a fresh cup of coffee, and sat down to what, in my world, is called breakfast.

The next night I decided to make sausage, pepper, and onion hoagies. I even fed them to some friends who stopped by. We all made pigs of ourselves. The sausage is so perfectly seasoned that all I added was a pinch of fennel seeds to the stir fry pot and then scooped all that deliciousness onto some warm, crusty hoagie rolls. I served a side of fresh fruit and called it good.


SAUSAGE, PEPPER, & ONION HOAGIES

Break the sausage roll into small pieces and fry in 1 Tbs. of olive oil. Don't use a cooking spray. The sausage needs the oil to brown up and give the faux meat the mouth feel of real sausage. Set the sausage aside.

Slice:

2 red bell peppers
2 green bell peppers
1 large onion of your choice
1 zucchini--just because I had it and it needed to be used
Salt and pepper to taste

Stir fry in the same pan you used to cook the sausage. I used a bit of vegetable stock to help with the stir fry so the ingredients wouldn't stick to the pan.

Add the sausage back into the skillet. Add in a pinch of fennel seeds if desired. Cook everything together for about 5 minutes. 

Scoop the mixture into crusty rolls and enjoy. You'll need a good supply of napkins. These things are messy. But they sure are good.

Serves 3

Vegans are always on the lookout for something new to try



Once A Week Vegan wants to state that we do not advertise on this site, nor do we receive free products to try and write about. Any product written about in this blog was personally purchased and our reviews are forthright and represent the blogger's personal opinion.



No comments:

Post a Comment