Saturday, April 7, 2012

Now THAT'S A Burger!

I don't generally talk about ready-made vegan products, but I'm going against my own ethics today to tell you about the best faux hamburger I have ever eaten.

I purchased them intentionally because I'd read that they look and taste like a real beef patty. I had my doubts. I've tried most of the faux burgers out there and while they are filling, none have really had that "beefy" flavor we vegans all remember.

This one is different, at least to my palate. These beef patty fakes are made by Gardein and doggone if they didn't do a great job of making them look like the real thing. As for taste? I put one in a skillet, added only salt and pepper, and fried it up according to directions on the package. I ate it plain because I wanted to know exactly how it tasted without all the regular "hamburger" fixings.

I was a happy camper. Earlier in the week I had tried Gardein's chipotle lime chicken and been most disappointed. The faux poultry was dry and pretty much tasteless. That is the main reason why I didn't hold out much hope for the burger product. This company has a whole line of vegan products and while they are a bit on the pricey side, I'll pay the bill for a burger as tasty as this one is.





If the package says "vegan" someone
will give it a try and let the rest of us
know how it tastes.



No comments:

Post a Comment