Thursday, July 12, 2012

Eggplant Burgers

So my fellow lovers of the non-meat, when I last left you I wrote about grilling my favorite super-food, the wonderful avocado! I know that was such a long time ago and my only excuse is that summer session ended and I became horribly overwhelmed with packing and moving and finding a job. It seems I have hardly had time to sit and breathe, let along give proper attention to my blogging corners of the internet! And for that, I humbly ask your apologies.

Now, I have been living at home with my parents for a few weeks and even though I have yet to settle into a good routine, I have been maintaining a good diet. (I've lost five pounds since the move north, yo!)

The other night my mom barbecued a salmon fillet and I sliced and seasoned an eggplant, all-American burger style.

Our barbecue is not a propane run grill, so before we started preparing the meal we set the coals in the chimney to heat up. This is an important step, lest you contract a case of the hangries staring at your ready-to-go-food and your not-so-ready-to-go backyard barbecue.

I started by slicing the eggplant into half inch to three quarter inch thick rounds. I got a little lopsided and my father teased me mercilessly, but they still cooked just fine. Then I brushed on a little coconut oil. Because it's so hot here, especially in the kitchen because it's upstairs in our un-airconditioned house my coconut oil has changed states from a solid to a liquid. This made brushing it on the eggplant a lot easier, so you know.

Then I sprinkled on crushed black pepper, a smidgen of table salt, onion powder and garlic powder. Flip and repeat on both sides.


The eggplant was then sent to do its time on the grill. I'm not sure the exact length of time, but you want to keep an eye on them so they don't overcook. The eggplant should still be a little firm and not mushy.




After the eggplant had done some hard time on the fire, it was good and cooked all the way the through. I put a little balsamic vinegar on it before I wrapped it in lettuce and went to town. For future reference, I'd skip the balsamic. Something a little milder would definitely add to the flavor. My only advice is to compliment the smokey flavor the barbecue instills, which is all sorts of lovely in your mouth.

I ate my eggplant wraps with fresh carrots and snow peas, perfect and light for a hot summer night!


No comments:

Post a Comment