Monday, October 1, 2012

Protein-Packed Taco Salad

Lately I've been finding it difficult to stay on the vegan path. Don't be alarmed - This isn't to say I've fallen to my knees in surrender and vehemently ingested a double-bacon cheeseburger with a milkshake to wash it down - I have just been finding it difficult to maintain my personal diet without making the people closest to me feel a little left out.

Case in point: I just recently moved back in with my Mom, who is an unwavering carnivore despite the toll it's taken on her health. In an attempt to reverse heart disease, high blood pressure, and obesity, she's actually been very open to the idea of cleaning up her diet - but it's a slow process, as it was with many of us who are now vegan or vegetarian. What I love about this recipe is that I'm able to get a great meal with all the nutritional value I'm looking for, while she can easily incorporate a little extra ingredients to lessen the blow on her taste buds. So if you're a veg experiencing a similar dilemma, it's simple to make a dinner everyone is sure to love - non-vegans can add grilled chicken, cheese, and sour cream for a more traditional "taco."



I love it just the way it is. And I'm Mexican, so that's gotta say a lot.
Anyway - as always, portion ingredients according to demand, get creative and ENJOY!

Ingredients
  • Quinoa/Brown Rice Mix
  • Black, Kidney, Pinto Bean Mix
  • Spring Mix lettuce
  • Broccoli Slaw Mix (Broccoli, Cauliflower, Carrot, Red Cabbage - store-bought pre-cut package)
  • Sliced Tomato
  • Sliced Avocado
  • Organic or Homemade Salsa 
  • Baked White Corn Tortilla Chips (I drizzle lime juice on mine and sprinkle with salt for extra yum)
Directions
  1. Cook the quinoa and brown rice according to package, and mix together. You can season to taste - I used a bit of garlic powder, pepper, and cumin to get a Mexican flavor.
  2. Cook beans - You can use your favorite, or make a mix like I did to get some variety.
  3. Mix lettuce, veggies, tomato, and sliced avocado in a bowl along with salsa. 
  4. Spoon rice and beans onto a plate as a base, then top with salad mix. Add crunchy baked tortilla chips and enjoy this easy dinner!


    No comments:

    Post a Comment