Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Spicy Black Bean Spaghetti Sauce That's Really Good

Winter is coming, even in Southern California. When I get up, generally around 7:30, it's still almost dark; dusk sets in at 5:30 and by 6:00 it looks like midnight. Mornings are cold, at least by Southern CA standards, though I bow to those places where cold is truly bone freezing. All of that to say that while I was hungry for spaghetti--my idea of a perfect cold night meal--I had to think up a new way to make it. I didn't want to use tofu for the protein; nor the home made seitan I always keep in my freezer; nor store-bought faux meat of any kind. So I put on my thinking cap and finally came up with an idea. I didn't know if it would be worth eating, but I just had to give it a try. I used my two guests that were coming for dinner as my taste testers. I knew they'd be honest with me. They always are.

We all moaned while we ate. Yes, it was that good. Some even went back for another helping. I hope you'll try it and enjoy eating it as much as we did. Now I'm not saying nobody else ever thought of this sort of recipe before--I'm just saying it was an experiment on my part that turned out good.


SPICY BLACK BEAN SPAGHETTI SAUCE


1 can of black beans with juice
1/2 tsp. thyme
1/2 tsp. basil
1 1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. salt
1 jar of vegan spaghetti sauce or 2 cups tomato sauce or 2 cans diced tomatoes. I used the jarred stuff.
1 medium onion, chopped
1 celery rib, chopped
1 carrot, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbs. olive oil
8 oz. of spaghetti

Open the can of black beans and remove 1/2 cup to a separate bowl. Put the rest of the canned beans and their juice into a food processor, along with all the spices and whiz everything until it is smooth.

Put the olive oil in a large skillet and brown the onions, celery, carrot, and garlic until it is soft, about 5-7 minutes. Add the reserved whole beans and the mixture from the processor, along with the jarred sauce or whichever tomato product you wish to use. Cook until the mixture is thick and gives off a delicious aroma. I set mine on a back burner on low heat and let the flavors bend for about 30 minutes.

Cook the spaghetti according to package directions. Serve big portions with a large amount of the reddish-brown and spicy sauce over the top. Sprinkle with parsley and shaved vegan Parmesan if desired.

I served the usual sides: salad and garlic bread.

Serves 4





Sometimes rainy and chilly weather
causes me to ponder what sort of
vegan goodies I want to eat that
will make my tummy happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment