Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Time for dessert!


I thought I would try a little dessert this week.  I again didn't tell anyone it was my Vegan attempt, and nobody guessed it!

This recipe is from the book, Vegan Cookies by Moskowitz & Romero.

Deluxe Cocoa Brownies
Makes an 8 x 8 pan.  Line pan with parchment paper, covering bottom and up sides.  Pre-heated 325 oven.

3 oz. firm silken tofu (1/4 of the pkg)
1/4 non dairy milk  (I used vanilla soy milk)
1/2 c. canola oil
1 c. sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
1 c. flour
1/2. cup unsweetened cocoa power
1 T. cornstarch
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp salt.

Puree the tofu, nondiary milk, and oil in a blender or food processor until smooth and fluffy.  Scraping sides.

Transfer the tofu mixture to a bowl. Use a fork to vigorously mix in the sugar.  Add vanilla.

Sift flour, cocoa powder, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt.  Use spatula to fold and mix batter until smooth.  Transfer to pan and smooth out the top.  The batter will sink into the pan as it cooks.

(I added chocolate chips to the top)   Bake 30-32 min.  Let cool at least 15 min before cutting.

I found these to be more cake like, with a light cocoa flavor.  I would not describe these a fudgy...  worth a try.  The kids liked them!

No comments:

Post a Comment