Friday, April 23, 2010

Navy Bean Shhhhh-oup

What a week. Was it the volcano that made it rain in April in CA? El Nino? I am thankful for every drop we get whatever the reason. Colder and wetter than normal, I thought of beans and shhhhh-oup. That's what 1 1/2 year old Miss M used to say. I like shhhhoup. She is 5 now and I'll tell you up front, this response was not heard when bean soup was offered. This time is was No Thanks.


Onions, celery, cabbage. That was the grocery list I took to the market on Tuesday. A bit wimpy I'd say. No great color. A little gassy. There, I said it. Bean soup with cabbage, look out. I'm concerned.

This bean soup recipe (recipezaar # 19127) attracted my attention because the recipe says, caramelize onions in balsamic vinegar. Can you smell that? I had a feeling this was going to be a flavorful pot of beans. Sans ham or bacon, flavor comes from balsamic vinegar, tomato sauce, ginger, mustard, chili, pepper, thyme and parsley. Not spicy enough? Pass the Tabasco. We'll see.

The recipe: Serves 8-10
2 cups navy beans
8 cups water
I never do the soaking part. Just bring them to a boil, then down to a simmer

4 sliced carrots - add to bean pot

3 TBLS balsamic vinegar
2 onions chopped
slowly caramelize onions over low heat - it takes awhile - I watched a movie
    Add:
5 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup celery leaves and tender, inner stalks, chopped
1 cup thinly sliced cabbage
saute adding liquid if needed
    Add saute to bean pot with:
2 bay leaves
15 oz tomato sauce
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp mustard powder
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp thyme - I don't know about the thyme - too much for me
1 TBLS parsley flakes - I prefer to chop a lot of fresh parsley and add at serving time
1/2 tsp salt - needs more, add to your own taste
Tabasco sauce to your taste
simmer for 2 hours, remove bay leaves and serve

The verdict. So-so. Too much thyme and I don't know what to do about it except to make a big green salad and serve it up with some good dipping bread. I have a feeling this will be my pot of soup. Mine alone. The family is saying no thanks.

I love bean soup. I'm on a quest. If you have a great vegan navy bean soup recipe, send it my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment