Saturday, January 7, 2012

Salad Too Pretty To Eat

You all know how family potlucks are. Everyone brings something to share and chances of finding anything vegan on the table is slim to none. But that isn't what happened to me on my family Christmas Eve get together. In all, about thirty-five of us showed up and I was glad my sister has a three-story house because we seemed to fill it to the rafters.

The appetizer table alone was so full of goodies I wondered how it remained standing on it's skinny legs, but with all the people gathered around it, I think all the bodies helped hold it upright. I didn't graze that table because I was pretty sure there was nothing there that I could eat. How wrong I was. One niece had brought a big tray of jalapeno poppers wrapped in bacon and a small dish of poppers stuffed with vegan cheese and no bacon so I could partake too. I have to say they were delicious.

In order to keep the big tables for sitting, my sister laid all the food out on her two big kitchen counters, loading them down with all manner of goodies in every color. Thanks to another of my nieces, there was a small pot of vegan chili on the back of the stove and thanks to one of my sisters, another small pot of vegetable soup with dumplings sat on another burner. One cousin came with her family-famous and vegan friendly salad, which I love and knew I could eat with relish. I did, too.

How grateful I am for family that takes my vegan diet into their plans in order to make sure I have something to eat at our get togethers. I know not every family is like that and I thank God for giving me relatives who love me enough to take special care that I have food on the table. They know how many years I have spent in and out of the hospital with intestinal disease and how many bowel resections I've had.

They know that since the doctor changed my diet to vegan that I've been doing well, feeling well, and lost weight. They care about me to the point that they take extra time to cook a small dish of something I can have. So while everyone else filled up with big bowls of turkey chili and chicken and dumplings, I was content with the vegan renderings they'd cooked just for me. It doesn't get any better than that. Food is just food. But food cooked for one single person at a gathering of thirty-five relatives, says a lot about family ties and the love that binds.

I like this salad so much I purposely asked my cousin to bring it. She made enough so that I could take some home with me. 

FRESH SALAD TOO PRETTY TO EAT



4 bell peppers, all colors, chopped
2 limes, juiced
1-2 garlic cloves, pureed or grated
1 jalapeno, minced
1 small red onion, minced
salt and pepper to taste
1 bunch cilantro, minced
1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can of corn, drained and rinsed

Mix everything together about a day before you want to serve it. This dish is crunchy, spicy, fresh, and addictive. Trust me on this.


Salad photo and recipe courtesy of Lydia Buchanan


No comments:

Post a Comment