Friday, July 20, 2012

Yummy Raw Food Tacos

I've been reading about the raw food diet lately and while I don't want everything I eat to be in the raw form, I did come across a recipe that intrigued me. So what the heck? I tweaked it to fit my own palette and gave it a try. Now I do confess that I made the bean and corn part of the recipe the day before and I was really glad I'd done that. The added time with everything sitting together in the refrigerator did a great job at marrying all the ingredients into a happy union.

The day I decided to eat my raw food, all I had to do was fry up my corn tortillas and chop some lettuce and set the taco sauce on the table--along with a few other toppings I thought might fit in with the raw food plan. How easy was that? I had my guests serve themselves and we all agreed, after much lip smacking, that the tacos were a big hit. They were earthy and crunchy and spicy and tangy all at the same time and were the perfect food for a hot summer day.

RAW FOOD TACOS


Into a bowl put:

1 can black beans, drained, rinsed, and mashed up just a bit
1/4 cup salsa of your choice
1/2 cup frozen corn, defrosted but not heated
4 green onions, white and green, diced
1 large ripe tomato, small dice
1/4 cup minced cilantro
1 Tbs. olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

The longer it sets, the better it will be but you can serve it immediately if you wish. Allow to come to room temperature if you make it the day before.

Fry or warm 8 corn tortillas. I like mine fried crispy, so that's how I fixed them.

Set bowls on the table so guests can help themselves to:

Lettuce, shredded
Vegan Cheddar cheese, shredded
Vegan sour cream
Mashed avocado drizzled with fresh lime juice
Hot sauce for those who like lip burn

Serves 3-4, allowing 2 tacos per person

No comments:

Post a Comment